Friday, June 21, 2013

Mandarin Chinese Restaurant

I love Chinese food, but I don't like buffets. I think buffets serve poorly prepared food for the masses. But if I review a buffet, this means the buffet is delicious and fresh because I would not be caught dead at a buffet otherwise. I love the buffet at Mandarin Chinese Restaurant and I go there any weekend that I can afford to stock up on crawfish.


While I am sure a number of items are not fresh and probably came in frozen, the food doesn't taste or look like it was sitting out all day under a heat lamp. The clean interior and comfy booth seats and nice tables attribute to the restaurant not having that typical cheap Chinese buffet joint feel. Those restaurants feel like they are borderline hole in the wall joints. (I still argue the only hole in the wall in the US is The Hole in The Wall by The University of Texas-Austin campus.)

Here are some pictures of the variety you will find at Mandarin Chinese Restaurant.



Even though this is a Chinese restaurant, they also serve sushi. 


The lunch buffet price is incredibly reasonable. On Monday through Friday, lunch buffet is $6.50 and dinner is $9.50 Monday through Thursday. For the weekend, prices go up with a change in the buffet selection. I can't comment on all the changes, but I know that crawfish is added on Friday evenings and is available on Sarurday and Sunday. Buffet on the weekends is $10.99. If you're in a rush and don't feel like placing an order, take out buffet is available. On Monday through Friday, lunch buffet to go is $4.99 per pound without seafood and $5.99 per pound with seafood. On Monday through Friday, dinner buffet to go is $7.99. On Saturday and Sunday, when crawfish is available, take out buffet is $7.99 per pound. 

The restaurant also offers a wide variety of dishes aside from the buffet. Don't overlook their menu. I love the steamed dumplings. Most people order potstickers, but steaming is the healthier way to go. Unfortunately, I am on a dairy free diet, but my friends rave about the crab cheese. I used to love crab cheese until I started this diet, so you will have to take their word for it. 

For more information, visit Mandarin Chinese Restaurant's website at http://mandaringrandrapids.com or stop by the restaurant at 2460 28th St SE, Grand Rapids, MI  49512. In fact, stop by the restaurant, you won't regret it. The staff is super friendly and kind, especially the owners. The restaurant is owned by a husband and wife and their middle-aged daughter and sometimes I think the mother sweetly greets all her customers like they are her own children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment